The Paint n’ Pen Project is on!
Celebrate Christchurch’s rich street art scene by writing a poem, some lyrics or a short story inspired by it. It is open to all ages, to residents and visitors from New Zealand and overseas. Submit your work as an individual or as a family group and in your own language. There will be no winners. All submissions will be reviewed by a multi-lingual panel and they will select the works that fit the criteria and show skill.
Submissions are open from 1st July 2019 until 28th February 2020.
How to participate and terms & conditions at the bottom of this page. If you have any issues with the submission this form please email us to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Commuting Book Paint n’ Pen creative writing programme is a collaboration between Christchurch City Libraries, The School For Young Writers, Watch This Space, Evans Taylor Digital and supported by Christchurch City Council’s Enliven Places Projects Fund and Publica.
The selected pieces will be part of our Scan & Read projects, they will be published on our online Stories catalogue and the best ones will have the chance to be featured on the Watch This Space map, the Augmented Reality street art app Plain Sight and in the summer exhibition at Tūranga and New Brighton Libraries.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- Explore and discover Christchurch’s street art with family and friends or by yourself by creating your own itinerary using the interactive Watch This Space map and the upcoming Plain Sight app (available from mid-May) or book a guided tour and have an expert tell you everything about it.
- Once you find an inspiring mural note down the exact location and take a picture of you in front of it (you will need to send this picture when submitting your work) and start writing!
- Sign up for a FREE Creative Writing Workshop and Street Art Guided Tour to be held at Tūranga and New Brighton Library. Bookings are essential. Click on the links below and save your spot:
2 JUNE 12.30-3.30PM AT Tūranga
7 JULY 12:30-3:30PM AT Tūranga
4 AUGUST 12.30-3.30PM AT Tūranga
1 SEPTEMBER 12.30-3.30PM AT Tūranga
15 SEPTEMBER 12.30-3.30PM AT New Brighton Library
13 OCTOBER 12.30-3.30PM AT Tūranga
20 OCTOBER 12.30-3.30PM AT New Brighton Library
Read before you submit your work:
How to Participate, Terms and Conditions
- The Paint n’ Pen Creative Writing Programme is open to all ages.
- The Paint n’ Pen Creative Writing Programme is open to New Zealand residents and overseas visitors. Christchurch visitors from either NZ or overseas can submit their work upon returning to their home town provided is before the deadline.
- Submissions are made at any time through The Commuting Book website between 1st July 2019 and the 28th February 2020 at 5:00 pm.
- Only complete submission forms will be considered.
- Each participant can submit up to 3 pieces (submitted separately) at any time between July 2019 and February 2020.
- Participants can be individuals or a family group.
- Works can be written in your own language, as well as English and Te Reo Māori.
- The theme and genre of the work is open however, the image (street art) selected must be reflected in it. The image could be a whole wall-size mural or a character in it.
- We are looking for short stories, flash fiction pieces, poetry or some lyrics of no more than 2500 words.
- Each submission must be accompanied by a photo of you (up to 1MB) with the Street Artwork that inspired your written piece plus the Street Art’s artwork location.
- Upload your work on PDF format
- There will be no winners. Instead, all submissions will be reviewed by a multilingual panel and they will select submissions that demonstrate skill and fit the criteria.
- All selected pieces will be part of our Scan & Read project (Stories On The Go, Bonus Read, Stories On the Spot and some future actions), they will also be published on our online Stories catalogue and the best ones will have the chance to be featured on the Watch This Space map and in the Augmented Reality street art app: Plain Sight. Also, you will have the chance to feature in the summer exhibition at Tūranga that will run from November 2019 to mid-February 2020.
- Your work could be featured through The Commuting Book digital marketing channels and our Scan & Read projects during the period of the programme in order to promote Paint n’ Pen.
- Participants guarantee that the work they are submitting is their own work and that they own the copyright for it. Authors also guarantee that the work has never been published, or broadcast, nor submitted to any other programme or competition.
- Copyright in each work remains with the author, however, the author grants to The Commuting Book a perpetual and royalty-free licence to use the work in any of its projects, website, social media accounts and/or in any promotional material connected to this programme.
- All information about how to enter the programme forms part of the Terms and Conditions. It is a condition of entry that all rules are accepted as final and by entering the programme, the author agrees to abide by these rules. The panel’s decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.